July 31, 2012
The RCSN (recession) is Zach Schwartz, vocalist/guitar-puncher/song-writer extraordinaire of Glocca Morra. With this solo project, Zach shows some versatility by crafting bummed-out, lo-fi pop tunes in his bedroom. Rather than relying on sugary pop melodies like so many bands playing this kind of music, Zach builds his in layers, focusing on more complex melodies and progressions that are more angular in nature. The lo-fi production helps rather than hinders the songs, creating a varied palette of textures and tones. By writing solid pop tunes and ignoring many of the conventions that make this type of music seem boring (like, say, the overused surf rock aesthetic), RCSN has made bedroom pop seem fresh and interesting again.
Side Note: This tape is out on Ranch Records, which is ran by Sam Rudich. Yeah, like the Snowing song (Sam’s actually the guy holding the cat on the cover of Snowing’s full length). Sam’s on tour with Kite Party and Glocca Morra right now, and he’s a really great dude. Everyone on that tour is really great, for that matter. Go see the bands and buy some stuff from Sam. Like me, you could be pleasantly surprised by buying a release you’ve never heard of.
Slowgrowth Records released the tracks for this 4-way split today. They were even nice enough to put it up for free download. It probably goes without saying, but every song on here is awesome, even if it is only one per band. If you weren’t aware, 1994!, Algernon, and Snowing are all touring together this summer. Yeah, for real. I suggest going to one of their shows and picking one up, but if they’re not coming anywhere near you, order it from Slowgrowth for only $5. If you’re feeling nice, you can also donate $1 to Slowgrowth and download the record on their bandcamp. Get on it!
December 14, 2010
What’s up guys? It’s been a while, huh? Since the last time I was on here, I managed to break my leg, sit around and eat way too much, play copious amounts of Mario Kart, and almost completely heal the aforementioned leg. That shit sucks, and it shows you how long I’ve been too busy to get on here (not that typing up bullshit like this takes a long time). So anyway, I digress. There’s a lot of stuff going on right now that you guys should all know about. Where do I start?
- First of all, Snowing’s first full length is finally out! The album is made up of 11 songs, 3 of which are re-recorded from other releases. I probably don’t even have to tell you why this album rocks. The new jams on here are my favorite Snowing songs to date.
- Secondly, Monument also released their first full-length album. If you don’t know Monument, they formed out of the awesome, defunct band The Summer We Went West, and they are absolutely worth checking out.
- If you haven’t downloaded Kanye’s new album yet, suck it up and nab it. Yeah, I know he’s a total douche. I know he’s made some terrible music in the past. But even I have to admit, it’s a really good album. Just don’t pay for it. That will only enable Kanye to be an even bigger douche than he already is. I, for one, don’t want that on my conscience.
- Algernon is recording a new full length and leaving on a West Coast tour from January 4th through the 17th. Joining them is Joyce Manor, Koalacaust, and our friends Big Kids. Specific dates have not yet been released. To read more about the recording process, check out Algernon’s blog.
- In BWS news, we are hard at work on 2 vinyl releases. The first, a 7″ split between Beau Navire and Adobe Homes, should be at the pressing plant at this time. Expect the record to be out in the next month or two, complete with glow in the dark vinyl! The 2nd release, a 7″ split between We Were Skeletons and мища, is currently in the planning stages. More info on that in the future!
…And I think that’s all I’ve got. Sorry if it was a bit long-winded. More regular updates in the future as Christmas break comes around. You know what that means? Ryan, Dylan, and I will all be in the same town again! Party in Idaho Falls!
May 26, 2010
Street Smart was an emo band that existed from 2005 – 2008 from Bethlehem, PA. Members went on to form the band Snowing, who I believe just recorded their first full length. Unfortunately, their entire discography consists of a demo, an acoustic tour EP, and two unreleased songs. It’s a grand total of only 8 songs, but it’s all good stuff. I pretty much fell in love with this band the first time I heard them, especially with songs like “Kiss Kitty On The Lips”. That shit’s gold.